Seminar: Future of Computing - On the Road to Quantum
Prof. Dr. Andreas Polze
Der OpenHPI-Kurs Future of Computing - On the Road to Quantum kann auch als Lehrveranstaltung mit 3 ECTS-Punkten am HPI belegt werden.
What is this course about?
- Broad content from hardware accelerators to edge computing
- Experts from IBM talk about their field of expertise
- ~30 minute videos about the different topics
- The video language is english
- Self-test after each video with 3 questions
- At the end of each week there is a homework with ~20 questions
- At the end of the course there is a final exam with ~50 questions
- If you get more than 50% of all points from all homerworks and the final exam you passed the course
What is the task?
- Register your mail address at https://lists.myhpi.de/8ps5pWDSjW1f7KyNhGZC5rZzlcAHLTs
- Enroll OpenHPI course (https://open.hpi.de/courses/ibmpower2020) & get the certificate (>50 % of points)
- Choose a topic & do a literature / related work / market study
- Write a ~10 pages report
- Get feedback, hand in the written report & get a grade
Three major areas which can be split up if needed:
- Technology Trends
- Coherent Interconnects
- Memory Inception
- New Accelerators
- Energy-aware computing
- New System Architecture
- Hybrid Cloud
- Edge Computing
- DevOps, AIOps
- Quantum Computing
- Impact on Security
- Areas of application
- ~10 pages in the predefined technical report format given to you - Please be as concise as possible but with the needed content
- Language of your choice: german or english
- Tipps für schriftliche Ausarbeitungen
The Topics for the report
Future of Computing - Seminar Topics
- Edge Computing
- Which hardware components are involved?
- Which software components are involved?
- Which workloads are executed?
- Developments in GPUs
- Developments in FPGAs
- Other Accelerators (ML, Crypto, ...)
- Compare with development of instruction sets
- Hybrid Cloud
- Which Problems are solved?
- Fault Tolerance considerations?
- Software Architectures
- Which Workloads?
- Coherent Fabrics
- Compare the different approaches: CXL, CCIX, OpenCAPI, (others?)
- What enables coherent memory access
- Quantum Approaches
- History and Development of Quantum Computers
- Compare different Quantum Technologies
- Challenges (scaling, fault tolerance, ...)
- Quantum Programming
- Frameworks, Programming Models
- Development and Deployment Lifecycle
- Debugging, Monitoring
- Quantum Impact
- Security considerations
- Workloads, Algorithm acceleration / enablement
Additional Topics: DevOps, AIOps, Memory Inception, Energy-aware computing
- ASAP Enroll the OpenHPI course if you haven‘t and register your mail address at https://lists.myhpi.de/8ps5pWDSjW1f7KyNhGZC5rZzlcAHLTs
- 03.11 – 24.11 participate in the MOOC
- Please vote (https://doodle.com/poll/2mqpvz83vnxccxdz) for a slot for the online session to talk about the assignments of topics and discussion about the MOOC
- 03.12 – 17.01 study and writing phase
- 11.01-15.01 individual online session and status
- 18.01 handin the report
- 28.01 online session for individual feedback
- ~16.02 Get a grade