about this seminar
The research seminar "Trends in Operating Systems" is targeted at students who are planning to do their Master's project or Master's thesis with the Operating Systems and Middleware group. We also invite Master's students who are generally interested in OS research.
Students can enroll in the seminar and earn 3 or 6 ECTS credits. To earn 3 credits, a prospective candidate has to study recent publications (~3-5) in a topic area (see the list at the bottom of this page). The candidate then has to deliver a presentation in our seminar and hand in a report. To earn 6 credits, we expect students to work on a hands-on project, which may involve implementation or evaluation work in addition to the presentation. Regular attendance is required in order to earn credits.
You report should consist of roughly 8-12 pages LNCS or 4-6 pages IEEE.
list of events
- presentation: 30-45min
- hand in slides and report
- talk to the supervisor prior to the presentation
- at least three weeks prior to the presentation: define directions and papers to read
- at least one week prior to the presentation: discuss quality of slides
- be prepared for a Q&A (discussions, backup slides, …)
- attendance is expected
Please refer to the list of current topic on the landing page of this Web site. Feel very free to suggest cross-cutting and further topics.